Aleksandar G. & Techy World
Writing about technology and us, immortal developers
There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning. - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Aside programming, I'm passionate about virtualization and computer networks and successfully working with micro services and docker containers from very early beginnings. I'm extremely passionate about my work and I spend a lot of time continuously learning, trying to stay up to date with all the latest technologies and trends.
Before everything, I always seek for working with good and humble people in an environment where we can learn from each other and continuously progress.
I'm passionate about teaching and mentoring others and I find no bigger joy than seeing my students getting jobs and praising me for that. Mentoring has helped my career kick off a lot faster and made me very technically articulated and expressive. There's no better way to stay up to date and stay sharp than sharing your knowledge and teaching others. Besides mentoring, I often do some live programming and blogging.
To end this humble summary, I'd like to share two of my favorite quotes that describe me as a developer.
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute." - Harold Abelson, Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"I like my code to be elegant and efficient. The logic should be straightforward and make it hard for bugs to hide, the dependencies minimal to ease maintenance, error handling complete according to an articulated strategy, and performance close to optimal so as not to tempt people to make the code messy with unprincipled optimizations. Clean code does one thing well." - Bjarne Stroustrup, Clean Code
What did you work on, Alex ?
Keep in mind that I'm always trying to keep my CV more or less relevant, therefore, I often modify it in a sense that if some technologies or experiences become irrelevant, I will simply remove them from here. I will keep those that I find relevant for the positions that I might be interested in. I've been in this industry since youth, I don't think I even remember everything I did past 10 - 15 years.
Airtame May 2017 — PresentSenior Software Engineer
- Architected, built and deployed official company website to AWS. The entire project was built with performance and
optimization in mind, along with the goal of increasing the organic search, ease of maintenance and everything else
that could bring more revenue and increase conversion rate. One of the metrics I achieved doing such optimization
was getting the website from 6+ seconds average load time (when I joined the company) to below 3.2 seconds, which
is faster then 98% of the website world wide.
- Acted as a main proxy between all company teams and what gets out to the web. This means that I've worked with the
designers, sales and all other relevant teams and fulfilled all necessary tasks requested by team leads or managers
- Helped and maintained 16 different integrations mainly related to analytics, sales and marketing
- Developing an Electron application supporting Linux, Windows, MacOS and ChromeOs.
Thinkful Feb 2016 — PresentCareer Path Mentor
- Prepared students for interviews and Computer Science related subjects
- Top 5 rated mentor out of 300+ mentors and one of the most requested mentors by students
- Assisted curriculum team with providing better teaching materials
- Was part of active discussions with top level managers about the ways we can improve teaching and provide better experience
for the students
SOFIA Ltd Nov 2015 — Feb 2017Senior Software Engineer
- Worked with
Eduard Siregar, NASA scientist and Math / Physics professor. Had an amazing journey and a chance to learn from
one of the most impressive intellectuals I've ever met.
- Built the prototype of the AI agent along with several graph data models using neo4j and mongoDB (used neo4j doc manager
to convert flat mongoDB documents into graphs)
- Built the proxy-like API which "mapped" the SOFIA engine to the web and exposed it to the Frontend Angular application
- Built the entire Frontend application in Angular 1.4 along with several libraries to complement specific use-cases
we couldn't find in the community. The application was mainly feeding on the Node API and was completely decoupled.
Authentication was done using JSON Web Tokens and security using some community built modules.
- Participated in business decisions, market research and investor relations
Cirons Nov 2015 — Jan 2016Senior Software Engineer - Consultant
- Part time assistance and guidance during technical accelerator in Helsingborg, Sweden
- Complete refactoring of the Laravel / jQuery application, completely dropping jQuery replacing it with Angular
- Application profiling and security audit
- SCRUM planning
UPBIS Oct 2013 — Oct 2015Senior Software Engineer
- Developed next-gen B2B marketplace that disrupts how companies do trading and communication online
- Application was built using MEAN stack with some additions like ElasticSearch and Redis
- Helped with the market research, market validati** and applied all the knowledge from Lean Startup and the knowledge we gained through 6 months of technical accelerator
- Participated in startup demo days and pitched directly in front of investors
Hyper Studio (sole-trader) Feb 2012 — Sep 2013PHP Freelancer
- Worked as a web freelancer on freelance.com and freelancer.com
- Built a massive PHP website for the company in Australia which is no longer operating
- Built some services using C# and started personal game project
SweaSAT Jan 2009 — Nov 2011Mid-level web developer & Network Administrator
- After short internship in Belgrade (Beotel), I got hired as main Mikrotik network administrator and web developer
- With my team, I successfully configured and routed 16 wirelessly connected access point stations in radius of 55km. Access point stations were stationed on the highest solitaries and water towers in town, being directly linked to each other, distributing internet either using Omni or Pacific antennas
- Configured radius and log server
- Directly worked with customers and companies, making sure we provide enterprise safe and stable internet
- Built static and dynamic websites for local enterprises
- Optimized SEO and Google adwords
Courses & Continuous Learning
SCRUM Master (Pluralsight)
AWS Certification (Pluralsight)
- Slight experience with Google Cloud (Google Cloud Workshop, Copenhagen)
How to Build a Startup (Udacity)
- Certification for successfully going through Technical Accelerator
Various online certifications from Coursera, edX, MIT
Computer Science and Business Communications 2012 — 2015University of Technical Sciences Empirica
- C++, C#, .NET
- Four modules of Cisco CCNA
- SCRUM and Agile Development
- Server administration with Windows Server and Debian
- Business communications
Besides my university, I have successfully finished all the free MIT courses on computer science along with CS50 from
Harvard. I did this mainly to refresh my memory on CS related subjects and also to utilize free resources and learn
from top universities and curriculum in the world.
Think Accelerate Sep 2015 — Nov 2015Think
- Lean Startup
- Business operations and negotiation workshops
- Various business workshops
- Project management